I apologize for a drastically slowed pace of posting here.
I’m spending time this holiday working on a comprehensive citation index to Charlesworth’s Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, volume 1 and volume 2, now in the Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library. This is one of two books I’m working on for publication, with Charlesworth as co-author. The other is a complete concordance to the translations included in the two volumes of the OTP. This is taking an extraordinary amount of time because I have been doing it properly: checking every citation for accuracy. I’ve been working on this index for over two years now, but I I’m finally in the home stretch.
I’ve forty handwritten pages of corrections to citations in the two volumes so far (and I’ve got about half the second volume still to go), have filled one Blueline quadrille notebook (highly recommended) completely with citations from the footnotes, have started another, and have marked up a printed copy of my OTP index of citations that I used to have available from my website (which itself was full of all the errors found in the printed volumes, with bonus errors from my own typing mistakes). I still face typing all this stuff up. It’s faster writing the notes initially, though, believe me. I’ll do the typing, and I or someone else will do the proofreading.
I’m excited to be nearly done with this. I feel guilty whenever I read a book because I haven’t finished this! And I still have to knuckle down and do the scanning and proofing of all the translation texts. That’s not as daunting, though, or as time consuming. Once the scanning is done, I’ll be able to do the proofing anywhere, with a printout of the scans and the disassembled pages from the copy of the books that I’m using for scanning. I could even do it in a pub! Or a café! How exciting.
So, maybe I’ll be posting some few things over the next few weeks, but it won’t be much.
For you Christian readers: I wish you a blessed Nativity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
I forgot my own anniversary!
Today, this blog commences its fifth year.
The first post is here.
The last post is, God willing, a number of years in the future.
I thank all of you, all my readers known and unknown and those who’ve commented, for your attention and your participation.
Right now, Google Blog Search and Technorati Links show absolutely no links to my blog at all. Nice. It’s not that no one has linked, because I just happened to see a few before they disappeared.
So, I’m sorry if I’m missing something that someone has posted in interaction with anything I’ve posted here. I’m not ignoring you. I’m just not receiving any notices through the increasingly useless Incoming Links widget.
I greatly delight in the popularity of this blog, and hearing that people find it (and the things on my bombaxo website) useful. I appreciate all the comments and the links and all of the email I’ve received from all of you.
Looking through my statistics for July, I was amazed to see the variety of places that people are checking in from. Below is the list of countries of my readers coming from everthing outside of .com and .edu addresses, in descending order of the number of addresses from each.
Thank you all for reading! Send me a message sometime, if you haven’t already!
Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Old style Arpanet (arpa)
New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Trinidad and Tobago
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Cote D’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
United Arab Emirates
My apologies again, everyone. I realized that my import of the correctly formatted unicode-compliant XML backup of my blog entries, comments, etc, actually created new page addresses so that all links to my pages were broken. How rude!
So, I’ve reloaded a database copy with the right numbers (fortunately I’ve kept them), and will deal with the unicode mess later, so all the Greek and Hebrew texts are messed up at the moment, temporarily. I noticed that some early posts on the blog are now out of order, too, which is weird, and I can’t tell when that happened, but it must’ve been in one of my earlier moves.
Well, I think everything’s fixed now. If anyone runs into anything unusual, please let me know.
Here’s a tip for other WordPress users who are moving their blog from one site to another: backups directly from the database don’t work. They don’t import properly in Unicode again, which is very frustrating. The thing that works is the WordPress RSS Export and Import. Only it will both export and import Unicode. So now we know!
Happy blogging, all!
Because I’m in the midst of moving my domain to a new hosting service, I’ve disabled comments for the time being. I don’t want anyone’s comments to get lost in the shuffle. I’ll turn them back on as soon as everything’s moved. So, if you want to leave a comment, just keep it in mind and post it later. I expect everything to be fully back to normal by the end of this coming Monday.
Thank you all for your patience!